Representing the birding communities of Marquette and Alger Counties
The LAUGHING WHITEFISH AUDUBON SOCIETY was formed in 1992 as a Chapter of the Michigan Audubon Society. The Society serves birders in Marquette and Alger Counties of Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, although we have members from lower Michigan, Ohio, Illinois, as well as other states.
PURPOSE OF THE CLUB:
- Achieve through education, public recognition of the value and need for protecting and preserving wildlife, plants, soil, water and other natural resources as well as an understanding of their interdependence;
- Promote an interest in our native birds and their habitat because of their great economic, cultural and recreational value; and
- Aid the Michigan Audubon Society in its study, conservation and research efforts.
ACITIVTIES SPONSORED BY THE CLUB:
Activities are free to the public, as well as to our members.
- Monthly programs from September through April each year. Meetings are held on the second Wednesday of the month in the Community Room of Peter White Public Library in Marquette from 7:00 – 9:00 p.m.
- Field trips to local areas of birding interest as well as an occasional trip to areas out of our region.
- Monthly bird walks around Presque Isle Park in Marquette from June through September. These walks last about 2 hours and are a good way to introduce the public to birding.
- Coordination of Christmas Bird Counts in the city of Marquette, in Alger County, in Cedarville (Mackinaw County – Les Cheneaux Area) , in Gwinn, and in the Peshekee Grade area of Baraga and Marquette Counties.
- Sponsorship of a yearly Research Grant to promote birding research in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.
LAUGHING WHITEFISH AUDUBON SOCIETY BOARD
Jeff Towner, Chair firstname.lastname@example.org
Amanda Willis, Vice Chair email@example.com
Ann Joyal, Secretary, Treasurer firstname.lastname@example.org
Beth Olson, Newsletter editor email@example.com
Brian Murphy, Web Page Design firstname.lastname@example.org
BY-LAWS OF THE LAUGHING WHITEFISH AUDUBON SOCIETY
Press here to view a current copy of the By-Laws