The National Audubon Society’s Christmas Bird Count (CBC) takes place annually from December 14 – January 5 and has been in existence for 118 years, making it the longest-running wildlife census in the country. Join with other birders to collect important information that is used to assess the health of the nation’s bird populations. For trends shown by CBC data, see the Audubon’s “State of the Birds” report at http://birds.audubon.org/state-birds.
ALL LEVELS ARE WELCOME: Beginning birders will be paired with more experienced
2020 BIRD COUNT INFORMATION
2020 LWAS Audubon Christmas Bird Count Dates MORE ABOUT THE CBC
Christmas Bird Counts this year will take on a different format to account for restrictions caused by the COVID-19 virus. Social distancing and masks will be required. Other restrictions may be in place depending on Michigan guidelines.
The following dates are tentative and please contact your compiler closer to the date, to make sure there are no further restrictions.
- December 19, 2020 (Saturday) – Marquette The compiler is Melinda Stamp at firstname.lastname@example.org or 906-869-2489
Contact Melinda if you would like to participate.
- December 20, 2020 (Sunday) – AuTrain
The compiler is Scott Hickman at email@example.com or 906-892-8603. Please use the email address for communication since count information is distributed by email. Please let Scott know at least 5 days in advance if you want to participate so that count circle coverage can be properly coordinated and communicated to all participants.
There will be a third bird count for the area of Michigamme and the Peshekee Grade.
If you are interested, please contact Gary Palmer at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested.
PAST CBC REPORTS
- 121st Christmas Bird Count2020 LWAS Audubon Christmas Bird Count Dates MORE ABOUT THE CBC (Ann Joyal) Christmas Bird Counts this year will take on a different format to account for restrictions caused by the COVID-19 virus. Social distancing and masks will be required. Other restrictions may be in place depending on Michigan guidelines. The following dates are tentative and please contact your compiler …
- Michigamme Highlands CBC ReportThe third annual Michigamme Highlands Christmas Bird Count was held last Sunday, 12/28. Eleven participants counted a total of 977 birds from 25species. This ties our species count from the first year and is up from 21 recorded in 2013. We added two new species this time, Barred Owl and Pine Siskin, which brings us to a cumulative total of 34 species over …
- Gwinn Christmas Bird CountThe 21st Gwinn Christmas Bird Count (CBC), held on January 3, yielded exactly 1000 birds of 28 species. Historically, the CBC was originally conducted for eight years from 1980 to 1987. In 2002, the count was resurrected, shifted to early January, and completed every year except for one since.During the 1980’s, the Gwinn CBC averaged 20 species annually. Since 2002, …
- Marquette 2014 Christmas Bird CountWe experienced relatively warm weather and calm winds on Saturday, Dec. 20, and general consensus was that because of the good weather, birds were not concentrated in the areas they would be in worse conditions: feeders and harbors. Overall bird numbers seemed low, but we ended up with a respectable 44 species, plus 5 more during count week. Notable species: …